Sunday, July 31, 2011

Outlander

Title: Outlander
Author: Diana Gabaldon
Publisher: eBook
No ISBN
Why Read?: For Fun
Challenges: E-Book, TBR Pile, Book Blogger Recommendation, Show Me the Free (Borders), Vacation Reads, 100 Books in a Year

Thoughts: Outlander is celebrating its 20th anniversary, and after reading it, I can see why it has lasted so long. I have never read a romantic time-travel before, but I can see that Gabaldon really knows this genre. The story as well as the characters were highly engaging, although it did drag a little in a few parts, but I honestly think that was due to the fact I was reading an ebook and couldn't really see how much of the story was left. I now what to pick up the rest of the series.
Rating: 5 stars

Vacation Reads Challenge: I have always wanted to visit the Scottish countryside. I think it would be just beautiful. I think, though, I would prefer to visit it now a days, rather than in the time of the clans.

1 comment:

  1. I made a pledge years ago to not read anyone's review of this book. I ADORE the Outlander series, but apparently this is one of those books that people either love or hate; I can't stand reading reviews from people who hated it. I'm so glad I violated my own orders in this case. And I'm glad you enjoyed it (despite the parts that dragged; her books are so long, I admit there are parts I skim through each time I re-read this book). But there's something about Claire and Jamie that I can't resist--they've got a connection stronger than time and space :-) The first time I read it (and other books in the series) I couldn't put it down. I walked to class reading it, I sat at meals reading it, I stayed up until 3am reading it.

    The second book in the series, Dragonfly in Amber, is my absolute favorite. I've read it at least 20 times. And her Lord John spin-off series is so much fun also. I admit I like the books in the series that take place in America a lot less than the Scotland ones... which is why I'm SO looking forward to her newest Lord John book, a "prequel" with Jamie & John.

    ReplyDelete